Skip to main content

Easy Nonya chicken curry

My photographer is on strike. Explains why my blogs are missing wonderful pictures of my scrumptious cooking. Actually, he is simply distracted with other interests at the moment as with boys and their toys.

I remember as a little kid, cooking curry was always a communal event. I am not kidding. Aunties would be crowding in our already tiny kitchen, some pounding spices with the traditional mortar and pestle, some peeling onions and kilos of potatoes and some just hanging around with cups of teas in their hands gossiping away. At times, the neighbours were even invited for a meal of steaming, spicy, mouth-watering curry with rice and french loaves to mop up the gravy.

Life has gotten busier now and instant ingredients have taken away the joy of communal cooking. The saving grace is that I can whipped up the same Nonya chicken curry in half an hour whenever I am reminiscing the good old days.

There are some ingredients that I always have in my kitchen: Curry powder, coconut cream, crushed garlic in a pottle, crushed ginger in a pottle, chili flakes, bag of onions, bag of potatoes and frozen chicken drumsticks.

This recipe does not beat the traditional ingredients and method of cooking a good chicken curry. But it is easy and close enough if you are craving one on a week night or cannot be bothered to go to the extreme.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (around 1.5 kg or use chicken pieces with bones)
4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into large pieces
15 shallots
400gm light coconut cream
6 teaspoon of crushed garlic
2 tbsp of crushed ginger
5 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup chicken stock
1 stalk lemon grass
6 tbsp oil for cooking

Steps:
1. Chop chicken into large pieces.
2. Peel and cut potatoes into wedges. Set aside.
3. Blend together shallots, curry powder, ginger, garlic.
4. Heat oil in a pot. Fry blended mixture for about a minute until fragrant
5. Add chicken pieces and fry for a few minutes ensuring chicken is all coated with curry paste.
6. Add chicken stock and let it simmer on medium heat for about 10 mins.
7. Add potatoes. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes
8. Add coconut milk and bring it to a boil. Add salt and sugar before lowering the heat and let the curry simmer for another 10 mins.
9. If the curry appears too runny, remove the cover and let it simmer. If it is too dry, add more water or chicken stock.
8. Serve with rice and french loaf.

Serves 6

Tips:
1. Use chicken pieces with bones. Bones add flavour to soups and curries.
2. Soak potatoes in water and a teaspoon of salt if you are not using them immediately. This will stop the potatoes from turning brown.
3. Curry is always better the next day.
4. If the curry turns out too hot, do not throw it out. Simply add sugar to adjust the heat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Chicken Curry Pies

The thought of spices and buttery pastry simply makes my mouth water, or maybe it was that extra teaspoon of chili I added to the pie! Whatever it is, this recipe is always a hit with friends and family. Best of all, it is easy to make. Mini Chicken Curry Pies Ingredients: 1/2 Brown onion 1 Large potato 2 Chicken breast (or 500gm boneless chicken) 4 Sheets flaky puff pastry 3 tbsp Curry powder 1/2 tsp Chili powder (optional) 1/2 tsp Garam Masala (optional) 1 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Sugar 1 Egg Cooking oil Steps: To make pie filling: 1. Boil water (enough to cover the large potato) in a sauce pan. 2. While waiting for water to boil, finely chop onion. 3. Dice potato into small cubes of about 1 cm in size. Add to boiling water. Boil potato cubes until almost soft, about 8-10 mins. You do not want to cook the potato completely. Drain and set aside. 4. Dice chicken into cubes of about 2 cm in size. Add 1/2 tbsp cooking oil to a frying pan. Fry chicken until 70% cooked.

Olive oil mashed potatoes

We started a tradition. One year ago, a group of us decided to get together for a party on Guy Fawkes day. We had a potluck dinner and celebrated the night with fireworks which was of course, an excuse for the boys to get their hands and matches on double happy and sky rockets. This year, the same group got together again..naturally. So this is how tradition starts. Someone had a good idea and repeated the same thing year after year. And voila! You have a tradition. I suspect if one of us fail to turn up next year, there will be a few words said. One of our friends from the group is dairy intolerant. It was a chilly night and I wanted to bring a more substantial side. So I got my inspiration from our Italian neighbour who introduced us to potatoes mashed with olive oil. I have always done mashed potatoes with milk and butter or cream but olive oil? This dish is surprisingly smooth and fluffy with a fresh, almost nutty taste. Chopped parsley added an interesting texture to the potatoe

Banana cake

I confess that I am a late starter when it comes to baking. Not having a sweet tooth did not help either. When I was a kid, I was quite fond of baking chocolate brownies. It was one cake that I would make over and over again. I had only one teeny weeny problem; really insignificant. The brownie always turned out hard as rock without fail. Go figure why I keep using the same recipe over and over again, just the way I did it the last time. Overtime, I learnt to disguise the brownies so that my older brother would eat them. So, Eric, if you are reading this blog...you know the "rocky chocolate cookies" I used to make when we were kids? Well, they were not exactly cookies. I have moved my fixation on to banana cakes since. I suspect my husband is extremely thankful for that. This probably makes me sound like a snob, but I am very particular about cakes, especially if I have to eat them. Have you ever wanted a piece of banana cake so badly that you would hop into the car on a