Skip to main content

Asparagus wrapped with bacon

We finally took lounge curtains down today. There was a moment of silence. The curtains had a long history; surviving battering from our various pets. It all started with our first pair of budgies, Birdie and Sunshine. We would let them out for a fly everyday while we are at work. They pretty much have free reign of the house.

As we live up the hills and with such a lovely view and lots of privacy, we hardly ever draw the curtains, even in mid-winter. One cold, wet and miserable afternoon, we decided to chill and watch a DVD. It was one of those, "I want to be a couch potato when I grow up..." moment. To our horror, as we drew the curtains, we realised they were full of holes. We are not talking about tiny pin size holes but holes large enough to fill a bucket. It suddenly dawn on us that those birds were not being "cute" hiding behind the folds of the curtains, they were actually eating them! Those little rascals.

We decided not to replace them; the curtains that is. We resign to the fact that the curtains now belong to the budgies.

Then of course, we adopted two lovely greyhounds. They decided that they too will have a go at the curtains. One of them ripped off half a tassel.

We decided not to replace the curtains. We resigned to the fact that the curtains now also belong to the greyhounds.

The saga continues with Timmy the cat who came to live with us after the greyhounds. He decided to finish off what the dogs started and ripped off the whole tassel this time. What dogs can do, I can do better.

We now decided that the curtains belong to the dump.

But what a difference the house looked without those dark gloomy curtains. It is the beginning of spring. The windows are letting in the bright, sunny and summery light from the sun as I write. What better way to celebrate this spring day than with a snack of fresh asparagus wrapped in crispy bacon! The sweetness of the honey, freshness of the asparagus and aroma of grilled bacon is simply divine. Try it for yourself.

Ingredients:
12 spears asparagus
6 bacon
Honey
Toothpicks

Steps:
1. Turn your oven onto grill.
2. While the oven heats up, cut the bacon into half.
3. Cut the ends off the asparagus.
4. Spread some honey over the bacon.
5. Wrap bacon around the asparagus and secure with toothpicks.
6.  Place the on a baking tray and grill for about 10 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Chicken Curry Pies

The thought of spices and buttery pastry simply makes my mouth water, or maybe it was that extra teaspoon of chili I added to the pie! Whatever it is, this recipe is always a hit with friends and family. Best of all, it is easy to make. Mini Chicken Curry Pies Ingredients: 1/2 Brown onion 1 Large potato 2 Chicken breast (or 500gm boneless chicken) 4 Sheets flaky puff pastry 3 tbsp Curry powder 1/2 tsp Chili powder (optional) 1/2 tsp Garam Masala (optional) 1 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Sugar 1 Egg Cooking oil Steps: To make pie filling: 1. Boil water (enough to cover the large potato) in a sauce pan. 2. While waiting for water to boil, finely chop onion. 3. Dice potato into small cubes of about 1 cm in size. Add to boiling water. Boil potato cubes until almost soft, about 8-10 mins. You do not want to cook the potato completely. Drain and set aside. 4. Dice chicken into cubes of about 2 cm in size. Add 1/2 tbsp cooking oil to a frying pan. Fry chicken until 70% cooked.

Olive oil mashed potatoes

We started a tradition. One year ago, a group of us decided to get together for a party on Guy Fawkes day. We had a potluck dinner and celebrated the night with fireworks which was of course, an excuse for the boys to get their hands and matches on double happy and sky rockets. This year, the same group got together again..naturally. So this is how tradition starts. Someone had a good idea and repeated the same thing year after year. And voila! You have a tradition. I suspect if one of us fail to turn up next year, there will be a few words said. One of our friends from the group is dairy intolerant. It was a chilly night and I wanted to bring a more substantial side. So I got my inspiration from our Italian neighbour who introduced us to potatoes mashed with olive oil. I have always done mashed potatoes with milk and butter or cream but olive oil? This dish is surprisingly smooth and fluffy with a fresh, almost nutty taste. Chopped parsley added an interesting texture to the potatoe

Banana cake

I confess that I am a late starter when it comes to baking. Not having a sweet tooth did not help either. When I was a kid, I was quite fond of baking chocolate brownies. It was one cake that I would make over and over again. I had only one teeny weeny problem; really insignificant. The brownie always turned out hard as rock without fail. Go figure why I keep using the same recipe over and over again, just the way I did it the last time. Overtime, I learnt to disguise the brownies so that my older brother would eat them. So, Eric, if you are reading this blog...you know the "rocky chocolate cookies" I used to make when we were kids? Well, they were not exactly cookies. I have moved my fixation on to banana cakes since. I suspect my husband is extremely thankful for that. This probably makes me sound like a snob, but I am very particular about cakes, especially if I have to eat them. Have you ever wanted a piece of banana cake so badly that you would hop into the car on a