Skip to main content

Coffee Spare Ribs

On our trip to Martinborough, I bought some spare ribs from Scotty. Like any good butcher, he asked what I was going to do with his produce. I think he was rather disappointed when I stared at him blankly and answered I had no idea.

I think half of the world's population go grocery shopping with an idea in mind what they are going to cook. And the other half is probably like me, buy and decide what to do with the ingredients later. That is how I ended up with a freezer full of spare ribs until a bright idea came along. I recall savoring coffee spare ribs in a food court many years ago in Singapore. I thought it was the most intriguing idea; who would have imagine using coffee with meat. Perhaps it was one of those incidents where the cook mistakenly added coffee to the ribs thinking it was ground spice. Like the story of the Tatin sisters from France who "accidentally" invented the Tarte Tatin. The story goes that one of the sisters burnt an apple pie that she was making. Trying to salvage it, she turned it upside down and it was so good that the crowd went mad!

This is my recreation of coffee spare ribs for the coffee connoisseur. Just like cooking with wine, do not spare on the coffee. What you don't drink, you don't add to your food!

If you are getting spare ribs from the butcher, ask him to chop them into about 2 inches in length for you. That's the one thing I found hard, chopping the spare ribs. After sending them flying all over the kitchen, I decided that it was best left to my strong and muscular husband to do it! Now, who says pigs can't fly?

Coffee Spare Ribs


Ingredients:
600 g spare ribs

Seasoning:
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Shao Xing cooking wine
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1/2 tsp Instant coffee granules
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp Light soya sauce
1 tbsp Corn flour
1 tsp Sesame oil

Sauce:
1/2 tbsp Instant coffee granules
2 tbsp hot water
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1 tbsp Plum sauce
1/2 tbsp Dark soya sauce
1 tsp Sugar
1 clove Garlic
1 tbsp Oil

Oil for deep drying

Lettuce for garnish
1 Red chili for garnish

1. Chop spare ribs into 2 inches length.
2. Mix all ingredients from seasoning. Marinate spare ribs with seasoning for at least two hours. Better still, marinate over night.
3. Heat oil in a pot. Deep fry spare ribs till golden brown (about 15 mins). Drain on kitchen towel.
4. Seed and slice red chilli. Set aside.
5. Cut garlic into thin slices.
6. Dissolve 1 tbsp coffee granules with 2 tbsp hot water. Mix coffee, plum sauce, dark soya sauce and sugar in a bowl.
7. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add garlic and fry till golden brown. Add sauce mixture and give it a quick stir. Add spare ribs into the pan. Stir to make sure spare ribs are well coated with sauce.
8. Place lettuce leaves over a serving plate. Pour spare ribs on top of lettuce. Sprinkle red chillies on top. Serve immediately.

Serves 4 as an entree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Chicken Curry Pies

The thought of spices and buttery pastry simply makes my mouth water, or maybe it was that extra teaspoon of chili I added to the pie! Whatever it is, this recipe is always a hit with friends and family. Best of all, it is easy to make. Mini Chicken Curry Pies Ingredients: 1/2 Brown onion 1 Large potato 2 Chicken breast (or 500gm boneless chicken) 4 Sheets flaky puff pastry 3 tbsp Curry powder 1/2 tsp Chili powder (optional) 1/2 tsp Garam Masala (optional) 1 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Sugar 1 Egg Cooking oil Steps: To make pie filling: 1. Boil water (enough to cover the large potato) in a sauce pan. 2. While waiting for water to boil, finely chop onion. 3. Dice potato into small cubes of about 1 cm in size. Add to boiling water. Boil potato cubes until almost soft, about 8-10 mins. You do not want to cook the potato completely. Drain and set aside. 4. Dice chicken into cubes of about 2 cm in size. Add 1/2 tbsp cooking oil to a frying pan. Fry chicken until 70% cooked.

Olive oil mashed potatoes

We started a tradition. One year ago, a group of us decided to get together for a party on Guy Fawkes day. We had a potluck dinner and celebrated the night with fireworks which was of course, an excuse for the boys to get their hands and matches on double happy and sky rockets. This year, the same group got together again..naturally. So this is how tradition starts. Someone had a good idea and repeated the same thing year after year. And voila! You have a tradition. I suspect if one of us fail to turn up next year, there will be a few words said. One of our friends from the group is dairy intolerant. It was a chilly night and I wanted to bring a more substantial side. So I got my inspiration from our Italian neighbour who introduced us to potatoes mashed with olive oil. I have always done mashed potatoes with milk and butter or cream but olive oil? This dish is surprisingly smooth and fluffy with a fresh, almost nutty taste. Chopped parsley added an interesting texture to the potatoe

Banana cake

I confess that I am a late starter when it comes to baking. Not having a sweet tooth did not help either. When I was a kid, I was quite fond of baking chocolate brownies. It was one cake that I would make over and over again. I had only one teeny weeny problem; really insignificant. The brownie always turned out hard as rock without fail. Go figure why I keep using the same recipe over and over again, just the way I did it the last time. Overtime, I learnt to disguise the brownies so that my older brother would eat them. So, Eric, if you are reading this blog...you know the "rocky chocolate cookies" I used to make when we were kids? Well, they were not exactly cookies. I have moved my fixation on to banana cakes since. I suspect my husband is extremely thankful for that. This probably makes me sound like a snob, but I am very particular about cakes, especially if I have to eat them. Have you ever wanted a piece of banana cake so badly that you would hop into the car on a