Skip to main content

Sweet Peanut Puffs

Today, we will take a stroll down China Town just before Chinese New Year. Imagine a long wide street bustling with hawkers peddling their sumptuous goodies, shoppers picking up last minute bargains and little kids playing catch amongst the crowd. One can never miss that stall selling sweet peanut puffs. So what is it? Sweet peanut puff is a bite size snack made of pastry filled with sugary chopped peanuts and sesame seeds. You can almost guarantee each household will have a good stocking of this treat during Chinese New Year. If you like peanuts, this is not to be missed. It is great as a snack, for high tea or dessert. In fact, I'm taking some to a picnic tomorrow!

Sweet Peanut Puffs
Ingredients:
Pastry:
1 ¾ cup All purpose flour
1/3 cup Peanut oil *
1/3 cup water
2 Egg yolks

Filling:
150 g Unsalted roasted peanuts
100 g Castor sugar
25 g Toasted sesame seeds
¼ tsp salt

Oil for deep frying

* If you can't get peanut oil, use any cooking oil. I have tried rice bran oil and it works just fine.

Steps:
1. Mix flour, oil, water and egg yolks in a bowl. Knead into a dough and keep in fridge for an hour to rest.
2. Chop peanuts finely into a food processor. Pour into a large bowl. Add sugar, sesame seeds and salt. Mix well.
3. Roll the dough out into a thin sheet. Cut round pieces with a 58mm cookie cutter. Do note that the pastry is very elastic and may shrink after cutting. Just roll it out with the rolling pin if it does that.
4. Now comes the tricky part (for me at least!). Hold the round pastry in your hand. Add a small amount of filling in the middle. Fold the pastry into half to form a crescent. Starting from the corner of the crescent, pinch edge of the pastry with your thumb and index finger. Fold the pinched area over while making a new pinch so that you not only seal the edge completely but also make a nice spiral pattern around the circumference. Because the pastry is so small, you might have to a try a few to get a handle on it. But that is the whole idea, to make the puffs into nice little bite size. It is rather fun but can be time consuming at the same time. (I reckon it is something nice to do on a rainy day!)
5. Now, heat up some oil over medium heat a pot. You do not need a large pot of oil, fry the peanut puffs in small batches as they do not take long to cook.
6. Deep fry the peanut puffs till golden brown, about 4 minutes. Make sure that the oil is not too hot else you will get bubbles on the pastry.
7. Place peanut puffs on a paper towel to drain the oil.
8. Leave it to cool completely and store in an air tight container.

Makes about 80 puffs

If kept in an air tight container, they should last for weeks. But I have not personally tested this as they are always gone within days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Chicken Curry Pies

The thought of spices and buttery pastry simply makes my mouth water, or maybe it was that extra teaspoon of chili I added to the pie! Whatever it is, this recipe is always a hit with friends and family. Best of all, it is easy to make. Mini Chicken Curry Pies Ingredients: 1/2 Brown onion 1 Large potato 2 Chicken breast (or 500gm boneless chicken) 4 Sheets flaky puff pastry 3 tbsp Curry powder 1/2 tsp Chili powder (optional) 1/2 tsp Garam Masala (optional) 1 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Sugar 1 Egg Cooking oil Steps: To make pie filling: 1. Boil water (enough to cover the large potato) in a sauce pan. 2. While waiting for water to boil, finely chop onion. 3. Dice potato into small cubes of about 1 cm in size. Add to boiling water. Boil potato cubes until almost soft, about 8-10 mins. You do not want to cook the potato completely. Drain and set aside. 4. Dice chicken into cubes of about 2 cm in size. Add 1/2 tbsp cooking oil to a frying pan. Fry chicken until 70% cooked.

Olive oil mashed potatoes

We started a tradition. One year ago, a group of us decided to get together for a party on Guy Fawkes day. We had a potluck dinner and celebrated the night with fireworks which was of course, an excuse for the boys to get their hands and matches on double happy and sky rockets. This year, the same group got together again..naturally. So this is how tradition starts. Someone had a good idea and repeated the same thing year after year. And voila! You have a tradition. I suspect if one of us fail to turn up next year, there will be a few words said. One of our friends from the group is dairy intolerant. It was a chilly night and I wanted to bring a more substantial side. So I got my inspiration from our Italian neighbour who introduced us to potatoes mashed with olive oil. I have always done mashed potatoes with milk and butter or cream but olive oil? This dish is surprisingly smooth and fluffy with a fresh, almost nutty taste. Chopped parsley added an interesting texture to the potatoe

Banana cake

I confess that I am a late starter when it comes to baking. Not having a sweet tooth did not help either. When I was a kid, I was quite fond of baking chocolate brownies. It was one cake that I would make over and over again. I had only one teeny weeny problem; really insignificant. The brownie always turned out hard as rock without fail. Go figure why I keep using the same recipe over and over again, just the way I did it the last time. Overtime, I learnt to disguise the brownies so that my older brother would eat them. So, Eric, if you are reading this blog...you know the "rocky chocolate cookies" I used to make when we were kids? Well, they were not exactly cookies. I have moved my fixation on to banana cakes since. I suspect my husband is extremely thankful for that. This probably makes me sound like a snob, but I am very particular about cakes, especially if I have to eat them. Have you ever wanted a piece of banana cake so badly that you would hop into the car on a